Cart closes on December 1st, 2020
Available Yarn Kits
Select your favorite kit in the drop-down labeled Pick your yarn kit. (Please note: the kit is included in the registration fee.)
Rusty Nail and Mac & Jack
Panther and White Birch
Rejuvenate and Flower Power
Stargazer and Popsicle
(This is the kit that Jo will be using for the model)
Registration is closed. Please use my contact me form if you are interested in attending.
Sundays and Tuesdays January 17th through February 9th
The event is a mixture of wellness, sip, & wool and it wouldn’t be complete without a fabulous swag bag too!
Sunday, Jan. 17 - Cast on Party with Jo Cottle, our Artist in Residence
(please choose your colorway for this KAL from the kits listed when you register)
- Trunk show with Serial Knitters
Tuesday, Jan. 19 - Olga Buraya-Kefelian - Knitting Instructor
- 3D Knitwear with slipped stitch techniques
- Level: Intermediate
This class is part demonstration with AV presentation and short lecture about 3D knitwear in
hand knitting approach, and all inspiration process. Olga presents her 3D design philosophy,
to reveal a slightly different angle of knitwear and putting your existing knitting skills into a
novel path. All while creating this 3D textured fabric swatch using an unusual type of slip stitch. You can
learn not just how to make it but also how to adapt it and shape it to your liking. We will be using the pattern KOKO Cowl which will be provided in your class materials.
- Knit, purl, cast on, bind off
- Provisional and regular Crochet Chain cast on methods
- "Read" your knitting to keep better track of your work
- Working slip stitch patterns in charts and written instruction
- How to customize and stabilize slipped stitch fabric to taste
- Work I-cord Bind Off
- 100 yards in each of 4 colors of any other fingering or sport weight yarn of similar
- US 4 (3.5 mm) [for fingering weight] or US 5 (3.75 mm) [for sport weight yarn] needle
- Crochet hook size F (3.75mm) or G (4mm)
- Scrap yarn in similar weight
Homework - None
- Level: Intermediate
Sunday, Jan. 24 - Chef Carol Green - Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner / Jo Cottle - KAL
- Mindful Detox for the New Year
- The New Year rolls around, and after the holiday indulgences many embark on a stringent detox or weight loss regime with short lived success. In the Northern hemisphere, we are in the depth of winter, with the earth frozen our bodies are in a ‘contractive’ mode and less likely to respond well to a restrictive detox. Added to that, the current state of COVID means we are living in a heightened state of stress, which inhibits a detox. Chef Carol Green, FNTP believes that during this time we need to honor our bodies and the earth and embark on a nourishing, mindful detox. She will cover how the detoxification pathways in the body function and discuss the best way to detox for the seasons. Downloadable hand out pdf document provided with key points.
Tuesday, Jan. 26 - Chef Carol Green - Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner Cooking Demo & Wine Pairing
- Live Cooking Demonstration
- Say the word ‘detox’ and images of cold, fruity smoothie and spartan salads may come to mind. Indeed, those types of foods may work for a detox in the height of summer, however for a mid-winter detox, Carol believes we need to embrace a gentler detox with nourishing, satisfying foods. Foods can harm, and foods can heal, and indeed, a gentle detox can be a powerful ally to boost body, mind, and soul. During this virtual cooking class, she will demonstrate a delicious plant-based menu, featuring warming, healing spices. On the menu, a plant based, French Puy lentil and Wild Mushroom Cottage pie. Earthy mushrooms with the rich, peppery flavor of the Puy lentils create a satisfying ragu, featuring Baharat spice and a fluffy white root vegetable topping. A mindful detox does not mean giving up all the ‘good things’ just choosing better options! Cacao can be a powerful healing food, especially delicious in decadent Dark Chocolate Balsamic Truffles, made dairy free with coconut milk. Paired with these delicious dishes, a nice clean crafted red wine blend! Did you know that conventional wine can contain up to 250 chemicals?! We discuss food and wine pairings with clean crafted wine from Scout & Cellar.
Sunday, Jan. 31 - Kim Hornshaw - Mindful Life Design Coach / Jo Cottle - KAL
- Detox Your Life with Mindfulness for Creativity & Well-Being
- Never has it been a better time for a mindful detox of our mental & physical space. Mindfulness is a powerful tool to have in our toolbelt to enhance creative thinking, clarity & create mental space in our lives. Through mindful exercises & journaling prompts, we'll explore the idea of detoxing our lives & how this can enhance our well-being.
Tuesday, Feb. 2 - Adele Beerman - Licensed Massage Therapist / Allie Geer - Yoga Practitioner
- Self Care: Energy Style
- You know all of the stretches and strengthening exercises. You know you should do them regularly, but somehow, the day slips by and you haven't done them. Soooooo, your neck, shoulders, wrists, elbows, knees, legs, feet, back and hands just aren't feeling as good as you would like. If you are on a computer for even part of your day, your eyes may feel a bit tired and you may experience brain fog. Enter the Daily Energy Routine developed by Donna Eden of Eden Energy Medicine. This 5 minute routine, done regularly, is a wonderful way to increase energy and align your body in a way that supports your entire physical body, sharpens and calms your mind, and enhances feelings of gratitude and happiness. The exercises are simple to do and take literally only 5 minutes of your time. Increasing energy and motivation will support you in taking good care of yourself and gain more comfort while knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, and all of the other things you love and would like to do!
- Yoga RX and Self Myofascial Release
- Allie will lead us in healing yoga exercises for knitters.
Sunday, Feb. 7 - Iain Burnett - Scottish Chocolatier / Jo Cottle - KAL
- The Magic of Chocolate that’s good for you
- Iain will teach about true chocolate and where it comes from. He will share about his passion and his process. Iain will personally guide us on a true Chocolate tasting.
Tuesday, Feb. 9 - Jackie Ottino - Natural Dye Instructor
- Natural Dye Mini Rainbow Class
- Brighten up the dark days with some fresh color from nature! You will receive 6 ready to dye mini skeins of yarn and 6 different natural dyes to create a rainbow right at home. You will need 6 quart size jars (they can be recycled spaghetti sauce jars, no need to buy the fancy ones) and a large pot or 2 that will fit them all. This does not need to be a dedicated dye pot as it will only be holding water, the dyes will be in the jars. You will also need a bowl or basin to pre-soak the yarn in.
Meet the team!
Jo Cottle - Artist in Residence
Following a career in software engineering, Jo rediscovered a passion for knitting that began when she was a teenager. A trip to her local yarn shop got her hooked on hand dyed yarns and inspired her to start developing her own patterns. She has developed patterns for the Seattle area Puget Sound Local Yarn Tour, the Pacific Northwest Slow Yarn Crawl, and teaches Brioche. Besides knitting, Jo has a lifelong passion for fitness, loves spinning and hiking, and crazy times with her Friday night knitting friends where she loves keeping them in stitches!!! Find her on Instagram.
Debie Frable - Serial Knitters Underground and Dyehouse Owner
Art and color are in my blood. I started knitting when I was five and started coloring well before that. It's only logical that at some point in my life, these two talents would meld. I studied art in college and have held multiple creative careers along the way as a hairdresser, a graphic artist, and a Raku potter to name a few. I opened a yarn shop in 2010 and realized pretty darn early on that I was in love with hand dyed yarns. As the demand started to outweigh the supply, I decided to try out hand dyeing and soon realized that I was in love with the magic that came out of the pots. Oh, the colors!!! Since the pandemic hit at about the same time as my lease was expiring, I closed my shop and am now an online only business - officially pursuing my "artist phase." Visit Serial Knitters.
The daughter of a professional tailor, Olga Buraya-Kefelian (aka olgajazzy) acquired an understanding of clothing construction at a young age. That understanding has evolved into Olga’s imaginative yet versatile knitwear designs that balance a love for texture with a minimalist approach. Her designs evolve from technique-driven elements that provide her students with a greater learning experience and impeccably finished knitwear.In addition to publishing her own designs, Olga is a contributing designer, author and co-author of numerous titles. Learn more on her website.
Chef Carol Green
Hailing from South Africa, Carol Green is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and well-travelled professional chef, having spent many years on board luxury yachts and private residences as a private chef. Visiting exotic locales, she was exposed to many global cuisines and experienced firsthand popular diet trends as demanded by the clientele, all of which fueled her interest in nutrition. During this time Carol began experiencing challenges with her own health and began the journey of researching food as medicine. She furthered her studies and became a certified Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. Carol believes that most health problems can be avoided, diminished, or eliminated with healing food. Her passion is in empowering others to embrace healing foods and create delicious recipes, empowering the gourmet at home. Visit her website or find her on Facebook or Instagram
Kim is an online Mindful Life Design advocate, sharing her personal experience of mindfulness, journaling & intentionality, along with the profound benefits it can have on our well-being. Through her website, keepingitmindful.com, and Instagram, she helps women design their best version of life the mindful way. Kim has been on her own well-being journey for the last seventeen years, exploring & learning the fascinating worlds of natural medicine, energy-healing and the power our mind has to change our physical reality. Mindful Living & Life Design is transforming her own life & she is on a mission to help others learn how to do the same!
Adele Beerman, Licenced Massage Therapist also has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theater Dance from Northern Illinois University. After a knee injury while skiing, and many trips to the Chiropractor, she became interested in the healing arts. She moved to Chicago to dance and ended up studying Acupressure, Massage and Deep Tissue Techniques and Craniosacral Therapy. Her trajectory changed, Adele began a career in Massage and Bodywork that has spanned 36 years. She has worked with thousands of clients in a variety of settings, continuing to expand her knowledge with studies in Reiki, Visceral Manipulation, and most recently, The Eden Method of Energy Medicine.
Allie is based in Boulder, Colorado where she leads YTTs, workshops, group classes, and private lessons. Her specialty and areas of passion are Myofascial Release and Prenatal Yoga. Allie’s practice of yoga began in 2006, after a traumatic car accident. She found that yoga and meditation was an excellent way to handle pain both physically and emotionally. In 2011, she left the corporate world and moved to Switzerland with her husband and two dogs. She began to pursue her passion and interest in yoga for therapeutic healing not only for herself, but to teach to others. Allie completed her 500-hour Advanced Training Certification in 2018. She is a Yoga Medicine® Therapeutic Specialist and currently enrolled in the Yoga Medicine® 1000-hour advanced teacher certification.
Iain Burnett is a world-class chocolate artisan based in the heart of Scotland. Iain makes a wide range of spiced pralines and dipped fruits, but it’s the Velvet Truffles® which have brought him to worldwide recognition as a Master Chocolatier and Truffle Specialist. He and his small, highly skilled team of chocolatiers meticulously hand-craft truffles which are beautifully boxed as "Unenrobed" pure truffle ganache covered only in cocoa or fruit powder, or "Enrobed" meaning they are delicately covered in a paper-thin layer of chocolate before being decorated with colourful cocoa butter designs.
Jackie Ottino is a dyer from Maine, specializing in Natural Dyes. She has worked in the yarn industry for 9 years, as a dyer, yarn developer, designer, marketer, you name it! Currently she travels the country teaching fiber arts workshops and doing custom color work for other yarn brands. In her spare time she drives her kids to swim meets and knit sweaters from the bleachers. You can find her on Instagram and Facebook.